Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Washed Clean

Every night, Emi scrambles to climb over the side of the porcelain tub.  She would dive in head first, fully clothed, if I allowed her.  "Wait, " I say as I quickly grab some toys and balance them on the edge of the tub so she can drop them in one by one. This delays her just a bit while I check the temperature of the water.  She grunts with impatience, stretching her arm to close the gap between her and the water. This is how bath time always begins...

Each day, the Lord offers me a special time of renewal with Him. It's much like a daily bath.  Some days, like Emi,  I go, willingly and eager, anticipating what awaits me. Other days, I go desperately, in meltdown mode. These times I am  hurt, troubled or just plain filthy. Then, there are days when I delay because I simply don't want to be cold and uncomfortable in my naked vulnerability. On the days I avoid the bath, the outcome isn't pretty.

In the bath, my spunky keiki shrieks and splashes wildly with fervent hands. She jumps up and slaps colorful foam fish on the wall. "Sit down nicely," I say with a protective hand guarding her in case of a fall.  Back on the floor,  she is enthralled,  pulling up the slip guards, swishing and pouncing on floating toys.  I seize the moment and wash over her. The soapy water dissolves the invisible residue of greasy avocado and grimy shopping cart.   I check carefully for bruises, cuts, or rash that may have afflicted her throughout the day.  No part of her body is overlooked. I marvel at her growth and health. While she is still immersed in her water adventure,  I rinse and rinse and rinse.  Emi loves following the flow until the final swirl goes down the drain. She cheers with applause and grins ear to ear.  At last, Emi looks upward and reaches toward the warm towel I hold. She is refreshed and glowing in my awaiting hug.

Watching Emi at bath time, reminds me of what our approach to Presence time with the Lord can be like.  A pure joy and eagerness drive us forward, anticipating what is about to come.  He gives gentle, clear instruction, which keeps us safe and strong.   Throughout prayer and what is revealed in His word, we are scrubbed of the gunk that accumulates in subtle, yet critical places.  The cleansing washes over every sin we confessed as we are forgiven and healed again and again.   In the end, we find ourselves wrapped in the Lord's love, revived and thriving.  Let us spend time bathing in His living water each day.  We can completely trust Him to restore us.

Let us go right into the presence of God with sincere hearts, fully trusting him.  For our guilty consciences have been sprinkled with Christ's blood to make us clean, and our bodies have been washed with pure water.  Hebrews 10:22 

1 comment:

  1. Kristi! I am loving your writings! I can totally relate! Isnt it awesome and amazing how God teaches us through our children! Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete